Beaufort County Chapter

S.C. Genealogical Society

( Representing: Beaufort County)


Society Meetings -201?


Society Surveys


SC Cemetery GPS Mapping


SCGS Chapters


     SCGS Society


Society Publications


County Query Board


      GenWeb Portals:


     - Archive

     - Archive SEARCH ENGINE

     - African-Americans

     - Census

     - Churches

     - Families

     - Genealogical Events

     - History Publications

     - Journals

     - Kidz

     - Lineage

     - Maps

     - Marriages

     - Military

     - Newsletters

     - Obituaries

     - Pensions

     - Photos

     - Special Collections

     - Tombstone Inscriptions

     - World GenWeb Project

     - Yearbooks


Genealogy Trails Project


Society Membership -201?


Society Officers -201?


County Info


County Map


County Museum


On-Line Training


Library - County


Library - Digital:


     - Digital - Google Books   

     - Digital - Libraries

     - Digital - Library of Congress

     - Digital - SC Library

     - LDS - Family History Centers

     - LDS - Wiki Webpages

     - USC - Browse Library

     - USC - Digital Library

     - USC - Newspapers


SC Judicial Courts


SC County History


Webmaster: NN8NN


You are visitor #

shopify visitor statistics

Effective: 09-Apr-2015


     South Carolina

                           Smiling Faces Beautiful Places



Both Beaufort County and its county seat of Beaufort were named for Henry Somerset, Duke of Beaufort (1684-1714), one of the Lords Proprietors of Carolina. The district was formed in 1769 from the parishes of Prince William, St. Luke, St. Helena, and St. Peter. It remained relatively unchanged in size until 1878, when a large portion was removed to form Hampton County. French explorers visited this area long before the English arrived. They established a fort in 1562, as did the Spanish in 1566; neither of these settlements survived, however. Beaufort, the second oldest town in South Carolina, was founded in 1710. In the years before the Civil War, rice and sea island cotton plantations brought great wealth to the region. Federal troops occupied Beaufort in December 1861, and the first school in the South for freed slaves was established during the Civil War at what is now Penn Center on St. Helena Island. The United States Marine Corps began training recruits at Parris Island in 1915, and later in the twentieth century Hilton Head Island and neighboring sea islands have become popular resort and retirement destinations. Some famous residents of Beaufort County are naturalists Alexander Garden (ca. 1730-1791) and Stephen Elliott (1771-1830); Robert Smalls (1839-1915), a former slave who became a United States Congressman; boxer Joe Frazier; and writer Pat Conroy.  By: SC State Library/Mary Morgan




All webpages that are being made available for your viewing & use, are not copyrighted.  It's believed that the usage of any original work submittals contained within these webpages such as articles, compiling, photographs or graphics, conform to Fair Use Doctrine & Copyright guidelines. 


Visit the US Copyright Office at for further enlightenment.    


COPYRIGHT:  (1) Works published before 1923, are considered to be public-domain.  (2) Works published 1923-1977 without a copyright notice, are considered to be public-domain. (3) Unpublished non-copyrighted works will have Author permission for public-domain.  Facts (names, dates & places) & data can not be copyrighted. Narration, compilations and creative works can be copyrighted.  Copyright law in the U.S. does not protect facts or data, just the presentation of this data.